Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Breathe....Breathe.....

Ya'll remember how I get to work on the V to the 10th celebration that is going on this weekend? I just got my schedule. It seems from this schedule that I am in fact working in the arena. I will be putting in some looooooong hours there and it will so be worth it. We are talking about 15 hour days at least. See I wanted the Arena. I want to work in the Arena. The Arena is where the performance of Vagina Monolouges will take place. This is by the far the biggest performance I have EVER worked on. I may be having a slight freak out here. I need to get it all out before Thursday because I won't have time. That and I don't want to act like a complete moron and really fuck this up. I don't want to be a babbling idiot in front of some really cool people. I am not just talking about the celebs. (HOLY HELL) but with everyone involved.

Let me take you back a bit, not only to calm myself but to give you a background on my theatre history. I really don't think I have gone into it much here, but if I have, bear with me. I vaguely remember being in a play in grade school. I don't remember what it was about or what my lines where, I just remember being in one. And I do remember I enjoyed it. What I really remember was going over to the high school when I was in 7th or 8th grade to see a play that was going on. I don't remember if my sister had friends in it or what, but I remember that it had an impact on me. I really wanted to take drama classes when I got to HS. However, the way my schedule was set up, I wouldn't be able to take a drama class until my junior year. The first class I took was not the performance class. It was just the basics. We performed only in front of the class. It wasn't until the next year when I could start performing on stage. The summer in between my junior and senior I was able to be a volunteer at Music Circus in Sacramento. The show I worked on was "Sound of Music" and I was, I guess a stage hand. We changed all the sets in between scenes. It was a ton of fun. Come my senior year I was in 3 plays, my favorite being "Alice in Wonderland" as the Queen of Hearts. None of these performances were fantastic, I mean they were high school plays but they were a TON of fun. I knew when I went to college that I wanted my degree to be in theatre. I considered a minor in dance since my junior and senior years I had been taking dance (yes I did shut it!!) The summer before I was to leave for college I went back to Music Circus. This time as an intern for college credit. I did everything from painting, working in the costume shop, sound. See the idea was to get you to work on every aspect of the shows. I worked on the following "My Fair Lady" "South Pacific" "Grease" "Annie" "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Man of La Mancha" you were also suppose to get a small role in a show. However the one they had me up for? I was going to be in Montana for orentation. I wasn't overly pleased but then what are you going to do. I ended up working with the sound people the most. For every show I was one of the mic dressers. Made sure everyone was mic'd at the beginning of the show who needed one then would go from exit to exit ripping off one mic and running it to another entrance and getting it on another actor....sometimes in less than 30 seconds (the theatre was in the round...lots of running) By the end of the summer I was getting to mic the leads. It was pretty awesome.

Now we are up to college. I spent two years studying acting because I really thought that is what I wanted. Turns out I didn't. It took a professor telling me this before I realized he was right. One of the associate professors suggested that I look at Stage Managing. Oh what a concept. And now....I am realizing I have talked a bit about the work I did out of college. 7 years straight of back to back shows. It was amazing. It is all leading up to this, I guess. This event is truly the largest one I have ever worked on.....I can't tell you the emotions that are going on here. It is going to be a thrilling ride, these coming three days. If you see me on Sunday at FQF? I will either be asleep on the grass in front of a stage or dancing my ass off.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Oh, you are going to knock this one outta the park. I just know you'll be awesome! I so can't wait to hear about every detail.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok had to double look at the profile pic! Came by nanette!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are going to have to catch up with each other on Sunday cause I can't wait to hear all about this! You'll be great - I know it!!

-Janice

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home