Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Friday, March 28, 2008

Intro to Izzy

We have a new addition into the household. A kitten tentatively called Izzy. She adopted our front porch about a month ago. She showed up skin and bones and just wanted to be loved. We of course, the softies, provided the food. She would show up every evening and eat, snuggle and meow whenever we went inside. It became apparent soon thereafter that not only was she gaining weight from the now constant food, she was also pregnant. This sweet kitten was not even a year old and she had gotten it on! Kristen wrestled over the fact that the kitten was expecting and was wondering what to do. Take the kitten in for herself or just let her be a porch cat. I would have taken her in a second, had I been able to afford another cat. Finally last week some point Kristen did decide to adopt her as her own. She set up an appointment with her vet for early on Friday morning. This is were it got a tad tricky. We knew the time frame she came and hung out on the porch. 6-7 in the evening to sometime in the morning. We would have to crate her in that time. We didn't want to bring her into the house until we were sure she didn't have anything that would pass on to our cats. We also didn't want to crate her for a long period of time. So at 2 in the morning on Friday found Kristen and I trying to wrestle and pregnant kitten into a cardboard crate.

The prognosis of the kitten was good. Carrying no disease, a little malnourished and an issue with a tooth, but other than that, she was good. The babies she was carrying was another story. In fact the Vet couldn't detect heartbeats. Izzy was spayed on Monday. She is no long carrying kittens. It was the one thing I said to Kristen I didn't want to know about. However I do. It isn't an easy decision, but knowing the kittens were not surviving at that point made it a bit easier. Saturday Kristen left town to go to Maine. Izzy made her way to her new home on Tuesday. She has been staying in the bathroom for the time being, so her and the other two cats can get to know each other through the door. My cat didn't seem too keen at first on the new addition but seems to be doing better. Kristen's cat doesn't really seem to care and Izzy is just happy to be somewhere warm. She is still the sweetest thing. She even seems to drool a little like my sister's cat Felix does when getting loved.

Other than the vase shattering in the bathtub on her first night, there has been no disasters. I did leave the bathroom door open yesterday evening and observed the normal hissing/growling dominace dance. I did finally bring her out to the living room because she didn't seem to want to move out on her own. She did find a hiding spot where she hung out for awhile. I couldn't find her this morning right away, she had found herself a real good hiding spot under the recliner. She is back in the bathroom today, and her human mama will finally be home this evening. I am going to gladly hand over the med giving duty to her and let them bond properly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ok, thats not fair! you can't tell us this story of this adorable kitten and not provide a picture!

11:44 AM  
Blogger boneramafreak said...

I know...but the pics are on my home computer. She is in a basket..I will get them up later.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tangy drools when he gets loved. It's weird. Congrats on the new house-mate :-)

-Janice

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I am sooo happy for Izzy and you too!!

Thanks again for your help last night!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger WendyD said...

Oh that is so sweet and fun. I swear cats can just see the houses that contain people who will love them. I used to have a cat that was a drooler. So much love, it just oozes out!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home