Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Vereee Interesting.

found on consumer fraudalert

I bought a used car from a dealer a year ago. I have contacted him many times but I have not yet received the title or any record that the title has been applied for. What can I do?
This is a very serious problem which may be an indication of even bigger problems.
The law requires the title to a used vehicle to be transferred immediately. This is particularly so if you pay cash (yep I did this) for the vehicle. Never pay for the vehicle in full unless you receive the title at the same time or are at least given a chance to inspect the title. The potential problems are serious.

The law allows a car dealer twenty (20) working days to prepare and submit the application for certificate of title. (Wed will be 3 months) All fees collected from you should be paid by that time as well. Car dealers sometimes run into problems with a title. They could lose the original title, the person that sold the vehicle to the dealer may be late in delivering the title or even more sinister problems can occur. A delayed title is often an indication of:

a) an odometer disclosure problem;
b) a wrecked or reconditioned vehicle;
c) a fraudulent title to a stolen vehicle; or
d) financial problems of the dealer.

A licensed car dealer must post a bond with the State of Texas in the amount of $25,000.00. The bond is to compensate anyone who buys a car from the dealer but does not receive a title or anyone who sells a car to the dealer but does not receive payment. However, the $25,000.00 bond is often insufficient to cover more than a couple of transactions. Act quickly because recovery on the bond is “first come- first served.”


I contacted the website...already had a short response....asking how much I did pay and did I have a receipt. Yes and Yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home