Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Vereeee Interesting


My car woes. So its been sitting in front of the house for about a week. I drove it around the block on Monday morning and it was making weird noises, so my fantastic roomie gave me a ride. I have asked around to a couple of friends about a good mechanic. I mean smoke coming out of both ends, and the hood not latching all the way can NOT be good. I have heard everything from "Its just a hose, thermostat, or a cracked engine head/block" I have no idea what the real problem mechanically is. I have been back to using the bus and mooching rides off of people. Where I don't think I can do anything about the car mechanically, I bought it "As Is" I do think I have another course of action. The place I bought the car from? Has yet to send me the title to the car. I paid cash. No title. They said it was going to take about 2 weeks. Next Wed we will be entering into Month #3 with no title. The first time my temp plate was about to expire, I called and was told the manager I had dealt with was no longer with the company. (Red flag #1) they sent me another temp tag (red tag). This one I receive 2 days before its about to expire. I call again, this time I ask to talk to a manager. He tells me that they will look into where my title is and call me back. In the meantime they will send out another red tag. (Red flag #2) no call back. Third time I call, the girl answering the phone tells me that they will send another red tag (expires today) and that the owner's briefcase was stolen and he had car titles in the case. Most likely mine was in there and they are working on recovering it. (Big old Red flag #3) They would let me know when they had it. I still haven't heard anything. I have done a bit of research with the help of google and I found this:

[b]I bought a used car from a dealer a year ago. I have contacted him many times but I have not yet received the title or any record that the title has been applied for. What can I do?
This is a very serious problem which may be an indication of even bigger problems.
The law requires the title to a used vehicle to be transferred immediately. This is particularly so if you pay cash for the vehicle. Never pay for the vehicle in full unless you receive the title at the same time or are at least given a chance to inspect the title. The potential problems are serious.

The law allows a car dealer twenty (20) working days to prepare and submit the application for certificate of title. All fees collected from you should be paid by that time as well. Car dealers sometimes run into problems with a title. They could lose the original title, the person that sold the vehicle to the dealer may be late in delivering the title or even more sinister problems can occur. A delayed title is often an indication of:

a) an odometer disclosure problem;
b) a wrecked or reconditioned vehicle;
c) a fraudulent title to a stolen vehicle; or
d) financial problems of the dealer.

A licensed car dealer must post a bond with the State of Texas in the amount of $25,000.00. The bond is to compensate anyone who buys a car from the dealer but does not receive a title or anyone who sells a car to the dealer but does not receive payment. However, the $25,000.00 bond is often insufficient to cover more than a couple of transactions. Act quickly because recovery on the bond is “first come- first served.”[/b]

I contacted the website where I found this answer Consumer Fraudalert to see what my next steps are. I have this car sitting there...paid in full with cash and I don't techinacally thing its mine yet....without the title....and its ain't running. Keep your fingers crossed for a quick answer from this place....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home