Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Friday, November 23, 2007

Luck

Yesterday we headed out the the Fairgrounds to take in a NOLA tradition, which is the horse races. It was a rather cool day with the wind whipping around making it feel even cooler. We got there in time to watch one race, then we went inside to warm up a bit. We started to peruse the race form and since I was the only one to have been before I tried to share my knowledge. Which wasn't that much. I tried to pick the three horses that would win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Which I believe is an Exacta but I don't really know. I did this without betting any money. I had two of the horses right, at least in the top three. They didn't come in the order I had thought. I decided to risk $5 and put $2 on a horse to win and $3 to place on another. The horse I picked to win came in 2nd. My parents and I decided to stay for one more race and they decided to take a risk. I was showing my mom had to use the machine and I picked a horse pretty much picked really fast and mainly on the name of the horse. I put $2 on this horse to win. Both my parents were on seperate machines making their bet. They ended up picking the same horse to win and same horse to place. Of course the one they picked to place was the one that I picked to win. As we sat down to watch the race, my mom decided that she needed to place a bet on Stormin' Eddie since my grandfather (her stepdad) is named Ed. The race started and my horse was in the middle of the pack. So I started routing for Stormin' Eddie as did my mom. He ended in coming in 2nd. Who one? Rome is Burning. The horse that I picked to win. I was so concerned with Stormin' Eddie I didn't even pay attention as to who won until my dad pointed it out. I walked away with $23. My parents got $7 each for picking that horse to place. We were all pretty happy with that. As we were walking out? Who did we pass going in? We passed the following gentlemen...I stopped and looked back and said, "I think that is Drew Brees, no he isn't that small..." my dad said "yeah he is" We didn't know until this morning that yes in fact it was Drew Brees, the New Orleans Saints Quarterback.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, seeing Drew would have been the highlight for me!!! What a fun way to spend thanksgiving!~

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope that's the trifecta. 1st and 2nd is the exacta and 1st thru 4th is a superfecta. You can also "box" any one of these bets for a better chance at a slightly lessor odds.
I.e. Exacta box means as long as etiher horse is 1st or 2nd you win!
Wow - i sound like such a track rat.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home