Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekend Wrap Up

As I was showering this morning I was amazed thinking that the Bonerama gig was just this past Friday night....and not 2 weeks ago. That is what it felt like. Yes a lot went on this weekend, however I have done more and not been so disoriented. Must be the fact that my parents are in town.

Friday night after work I took the streetcar down to the Columns Hotel. The Columns is a beautiful old house right in the Garden District. There we were able to enjoy the sounds of New Orleans Helsinki Connection in the front room. If you have never been to the Colums, they have this HUGE front porch in which they have a ton of tables out there, there is a front room with tables as well and music nightly. They have a very nice bar with a loungy feel to it. Apparently this is the place to have "cocktails". Someone I was with called it a meatmarket and I have to agree. After the gig was done, I had to run home as I only had an hour before my ride came to pick me up for I quickly organized the merch and changed clothes then was out the door for some Bonerama fun. As I said on Saturday there were several new songs. I am waiting to get the names of them all. I know one of them is "Bite Your Bitch" I must confess when I saw that title on the set list it was abbreviated and all it said was "Bitch" I thought it was about me. ;) The set included more instrument swapping and hula hooping. There was also a small strip tease. My pictures are sitting at Walgreens as I type. I will do my best to pick them up tonight. A nightcap at the Maple Leaf was had, then it was home to sleep.

I woke up early on Saturday unable to convince my body to go back to sleep. I had only 5 hours of sleep in me. After a yummy breakfast at Oak Street Cafe, I caught a few shows on Tivo then decided to tackle the house. I finally got my pictures hung up in my room and the house sparkling just in time to listen to the Grizzlies beat the Bobcats. About an hour after they were suppose to arrive, my parents finally made it to my house. We got them settled in and then out the door we went. We had dinner down on Frenchmen Street at the Praline Connection, then walked down to see John Boutte, Todd Duke and Leroy Jones playing at d.b.a. It was of course PACKED on the stage side of the bar, so we sat on the side. Ran into a few friends and had nice conversations. We were eventually able to snag a window seat on the stage side for the second set. It wasn't long after that set ended that we had to leave, as I was again selling merchandise that night, this time it was for 101 Runners. My parents did make it through the first band and the first set of 101 before they decided to call it a night. At that point they were up for close to 24 hours. After they left, I found a hard time staying awake, so I was sent out to do some dancing, that really woke me up. At one point in the front bar area it was just myself, Jason and Travis the two bartenders. Everyone else was squeezed in front of the stage dancing. I have never seen that before.

Yesterday after snoozing in a bit, we went out to the Po'Boy fest. Let me tell you that the organizers and myself didn't expect as many people as there was. It was PACKED!! It took us forever to make it from my house down to the the Maple Leaf. It is only 2 blocks away! I do think that they really needed to break up the food stalls just a bit. They put all of them on one block, along with the beer garden with the Saints game playing. It was a huge bottle neck. We did enjoy the sounds coming from both stages, a duck po'boy with slaw and ran into a lot of people. Ashley and I decided to tell my parents that this happened every Sunday in our neighborhood. It was close to the truth! The night ended fairly early, in fact I do believe I was in bed by 9 last night! Crazy but true.

I am looking forward to my parents getting to meet even more of my friends as the week goes on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love reading about your weekend music adventures : )
Peace,
Melissa

8:12 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Your weekends are always packed with fab music! so cool. ;)

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home