Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

And this my friends.....

Is why I love Chris Rose. I don't think I have laughed harder at something written in the paper. Seriously. Not only is it funny, but really to me? The average person? I would rather have more interviews like this.

MITCH LANDRIEU and RAY NAGIN
The 60-Second Interview: Special Election Edition
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Chris Rose
After 143 mayoral debates, what do we know?

Levees? They're for 'em! Corruption? They're against it! Hair? They don't have much!
So that leaves us with one major discernible difference between the two candidates and that is -- you guessed it: Their height.
You weren't thinking race, were you? C'mon! We all know that makes no difference to an enlightened electorate.
Don't we?
Mitch Landrieu and Ray Nagin sat separately last week for short-attention span interviews that we hope will offer a peek into their psyches. Their answers were not edited. Landrieu's answers are listed first. Because he's shorter.

What's your sign?
Landrieu: Leo.
Nagin: Gemini.

What difference will that make in the event of another hurricane?
Landrieu: It's called leadership and knowing how to get out of the way or in the way or fix things.
Nagin: A Gemini is a learning being, constantly improving and looking at all sides of issues. And I've already gone through that once, so I have a better base of knowledge.

What is your opponent's most admirable trait?
Landrieu: Nice guy.
Nagin: He's a good talker.

What is his most annoying characteristic?
Landrieu: Blames others.
Nagin: He don't get anything done.

When was the last time you cried?
Landrieu: Last night.
Nagin: During Katrina.

Why?
Landrieu: I don't know. I just have moments of sadness. I don't know where they come from. It just happens now.
Nagin: It was a release of all the suffering I had seen.

What book is on your night table?
Landrieu: "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.
Nagin: A couple -- "The Purpose Driven Life" and "POTUS Speaks" (by former Bill Clinton speechwriter Michael Waldman).

What music takes away your pain right now?
Landrieu: Andrea Bocelli.
Nagin: Kem is a new-school kind of guy and of course my man James Brown.

What song sums up the last eight months for you?
Landrieu: "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee." It's a Christian song that keeps coming back to mind when I think about hope and the future. I sing it all day long.
Nagin: Aretha Franklin -- "R-E-S-P-E-C-T."

Do you believe in your heart that the Hornets will be playing here in two years?
Landrieu: I do.
Nagin: I do. I think their contract is solid.

I am so fed up with looting and predators that my inclination at this point, should I encounter anyone on my property who doesn't belong there, is just to shoot him. Would you care to dissuade me of that notion?
Landrieu: Not necessarily. You should ask first why they're there.
Nagin: If you shoot them in the butt, that will be OK. And then we'll take them to Charity Hospital and get 'em fixed up.

What's your preference in an MRE?
Landrieu: Beans.
Nagin: Macaroni and cheese. And the cookie is pretty special. It's like a Frisbee.

What was the first restaurant meal you had in New Orleans after Katrina?
Landrieu: A shrimp po-boy at Domilise's.
Nagin: Clover Grill, cheeseburger and fries.

What person or institution that is not here anymore do you miss most?
Landrieu: The guys behind the counter at Camellia Grill.
Nagin: The Saenger Theatre.

In the end, which Bush will wind up helping New Orleans more -- George or Reggie?
Landrieu: Reggie, absolutely. I mean, is it too much to hope that we go to the Super Bowl in the next four years?
Nagin: Reggie.

If you could consult any three historical figures for advice right now, who would they be?
Landrieu: Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy.
Nagin: Gandhi, F.D.R. and President Kennedy.

What would Rudy Giuliani have done on Aug. 29?
Landrieu: He would have found a way to make it happen.
Nagin: He said he would have prayed a lot. That's what he told me.

If you have to evacuate your home and can only take one item with you, what is that prized possession?
Landrieu: My kids.
Nagin: One item? Probably my iPod.

The next mayor of New Orleans will have a growing Hispanic constituency. Would you care to say anything to them in Spanish?
Landrieu: Buenos dias.
Nagin: Hola. Como esta?

Name one job in America that's harder than being mayor of New Orleans.
Landrieu: Being the father of five children.
Nagin: Probably being a pastor in New Orleans.

I evacuated to Georgia. I got a good job there. My kids love their new schools. The streets are clean and safe, and there's no threat of a hurricane. Give me three reasons I should move back to New Orleans.
Landrieu: I'll give you one: Because, even in our worst circumstances, there's no place like New Orleans. You can't find another like it.
Nagin: There's no other city like New Orleans. It will be better at the end of the day. And Georgia does not serve beignets and café au lait.

My wife thinks bald guys are sexy. Does that give the edge to you or your opponent?
Landrieu: It depends on whether she likes tall guys or short guys.
Nagin: It depends on whether she likes Chia Pets or not.

What makes you laugh out loud?
Landrieu: Almost everything.
Nagin: Forums and debates for the mayor of New Orleans.

What really ticks you off?
Landrieu: Being slow.
Nagin: Liars.

Which one of you is the true "black" candidate?
Landrieu: Wow. That's a good question, isn't it? I like to think that I represent all of the people all of the time. My favorite word is "indivision" -- every particle creates a whole and can't be separated.
Nagin: Wow. True black candidate? I am, I guess. Is there another angle to this question?

Many people are likely to walk into the voting booth Saturday and select a candidate based strictly on race. Do you condone this?
Landrieu: No. I reject it categorically.
Nagin: No.

Will New Orleans, at the end of the day, be a chocolate city?
Landrieu: New Orleans has never been a white city or a black city. It is so multicultural in its essence that it's impossible to describe in terms of white or black, and if you try to do that, then it means you don't understand the essence of this city.
Nagin: I think at the time I made that speech, New Orleans was a city that had a significant number of African Americans and it continues to be that way today.

Do you think you are suffering from any symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome?
Landrieu: No.
Nagin: I don't know. I keep asking my wife that question.

Are you taking any prescription medicines?
Landrieu: No.
Nagin: No.

Do you believe that your house is assessed at its fair market value?
Landrieu: It will be when the assessor puts it back to its pre-Katrina value.
Nagin: No. They did blanket assessments for the whole area.

Should City Council members have a police officer on call for their use 24 hours a day?
Landrieu: If they're in danger.
Nagin: No.

You both signed an agreement with All Congregations Together that you would consult them for any major hiring decisions in your administration. Do you regret that?
Landrieu: No. That's not what it said. What it said was that we would include them in the advisory team when we are putting our administrations together. My commitment was to include the community in decisions that are made.
Nagin: No.

Would you sign a similar pledge including my neighborhood organization?
Landrieu: I would sign a pledge including neighborhood organizations or representatives of neighborhood organizations. All Congregations Together represents an entire citywide organization.
Nagin: Sure.

At what point can I expect the traffic lights to work in this city?
Landrieu: Hopefully, very soon.
Nagin: They're almost there. We're at 80 percent.

When will I be able to throw out large household trash items and expect them to be taken away from the curb?
Landrieu: July 1.
Nagin: Today.

Should I expect the grass to be cut on the neutral grounds this summer?
Landrieu: Yes.
Nagin: Yes.

Who's going to do it?
Landrieu: The city. Or the Corps of Engineers or FEMA. But it's going to get done.
Nagin: Parkways.

After all the scrutiny and all the debates, what is the one thing that nobody has figured out about you? What do we not get?
Landrieu: That I can actually bring people together and get the job done.
Nagin: That I'm going to be OK regardless of what happens with the vote.

Last question: There's another flood. You are in a rescue boat. You arrive at a rooftop to find Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. There's only room for one in the boat. Who do you take?
Landrieu: They both get left.
Nagin: I give them the boat and get on the roof and wait for the helicopter

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was awesome!! I heart Chris Rose!!
-Kristy

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home