Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, July 13, 2006

50 Book Challenge

#42-Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley. I picked this book up because of the cover. It is of the famous picture of the flag raising in Iwo Jima. What a lot of people do not realize is that that picture is of the SECOND flag raising. The first had occurred several hours before. My Great Uncle Louis Charlo was part of the first patrol up Mt. Suribachi, he was part of the first flag raising. Soon after the flag was hoisted they came under attack. They quickly ended that attack. Another flag was brought up so the orginal flag could stay with that group. I wanted to know if this book mentioned my Great Uncle. (he like so many other young boys died on Iwo Jima) To my amazement it did. The book is written by the son of one of the six flag raisers in the famous picture. You learn all about these six boys from the time they were born to their deaths. I really enjoyed this book. There were times when the Author repeated himself. Not twice...but at least three times. I kept having to ask myself...am I re-reading a portion?? No, it was almost as if he had forgotten he had mentioned something about a hundred pages back. Besides that, the book really should be read. A movie directed by Clint Eastwood based on the book will be out in the fall. One of my favorite actors, Adam Beach is in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home