Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Home

Let me preface this by saying its another slow day here at work. Yesterday my "boss" was out most of the day, today the program we use to enter items in isn't working. I am bored and decided to do this...also a small rant. I don't think the girl made my soy latte with soy at lunch....cuz well the tummy isnt happy. Maybe its punishment from last weeks "bad sushi" day. ;)

Alot of people ask me "Where are you from?" Especially down here. I am from my parents. Two wonderful and amazing people. My father is Native American and French. My mom is Irish. Nice combo right? No wonder I am such a lush. Techically I was made in Montana. Born in Helena, MT and moved very soon after that to Missoula, MT. For the first 10 years we lived in Missoula. I remember lots of snow, making forts in the field across the street from the house on Agnes, making leaf "houses" in the front yard on Agnes, Grizzly Football games, Grizzly Basketball games, watching the hill burn several summers in a row...one time when I was at a girl scout camp on the hill, crazy times with my mom's sisters and their families. Double Front Chicken, which in my opinion is STILL the best fried chicken anywhere. Missoula provided me with a very safe and secure feeling. I may have not realized it at the time, but it did. (heh as I type this I remember there was a serial killer in Missoula, he worked at one of the local furniture stores and would stake out places/people when delivering the furniture. He delivered at our house. My dad remembers talking to him and we were most likely crossed off his list when he and my dad talked about the busy street next to the house and how one of my dad's b-ball buddies was on the police force who liked to drive by and shine his lights in the house)

When I was 10, my dad was ready for a change. He moved us out to Roseville, CA. At that point in town we were in a new housing development with lots and lots of empty fields. Today none of those fields are there, but there are plenty of small strip malls and shopping centers. The school we went to was K-8. I was a little let down. I had been looking forward to going to the Jr. High School in Missoula, where my sister had been. Instead I was stuck in this little small school, our class room was shared. 5th and 6th graders. What I remember of my time in California was lots of swimming, walking to the local grocery store with my best friend Vanessa, perfume fights in the drug store, riding our bikes past the "cute boys house's", later we would drive our cars past. Cruising on Greenback. Lots of football games, band competitions, parades. I was a member of the colorguard. My sister had been in the band, then the colorguard as well. Before I went to HS, I had spent alot of time with the band. I also started performing in the plays done while in HS. At that time, I was also very big into the hair metal bands. Poison, Def Leppard, Cinderalla. The bigger the hair the better.

When I graduated from HS, I was ready to go back to Montana. My parents were shocked that I was going to college because I was not a big fan of school. However for as long as I could remember, I was going to go to the University of Montana. It was the only school I applied to. So at the end of the summer, my mother and I packed up my car and drove back to Missoula. My dad was already in Bozeman as again, he was ready for a change. He went up early my senior year and established residency. He met us there, I got settled into my dorm room and off they went to Bozeman. The four years that I was back was more football, even more basketball, plays out the wazoo and sneaking into bars. Namely Stockmans. My last year in college I rented a house with two friends, the house happened to be a block from one of our old houses on 9th. Just down the street from my aunt's house. My parents moved to Seattle, WA somewhere in this time frame. My sister, her husband and myself all graduated from college a week apart. They graduated from Montana State (boooooo bobcats) myself from the University of Montana. With a degree in theatre in my hands...I moved to Seattle. Hey it was free rent, and there wasn't much theatre going on in Montana.

I spent the next 7 years in Seattle. I dove right into several local theatre's working as a stage manager. 7 years straight. Show after show after show. Not to mention having a day job to pay the bills. I would have an hour and half commute in the mornings to the city for several years. Then one day my parents decided it was time to move again. I however didn't want to go to Colorado. I stayed behind and continued on with my theatre work. The commute became much easier during this time as I moved into the city, first living in the Queen Anne area then on Capitol Hill.

One year, I took a trip to New Orleans during Jazz Fest. I fell immediatly in love and knew I had to go back. I did. Again and again and again. Finally I decided that I really belonged there. One year and 5 months ago, I packed up the U-haul and with the help of my Brother in law, I moved across country. I have never, ever felt more at home or content as I do here. So when people ask me where I came from, or where home is? It is here. It is New Orleans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home