Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Sunday, June 25, 2006

He does it again


Chris Rose really just can get down everything that you experience in the city right now. Its worth a read, this Sunday's article. Its about the Desire bus route. You know the one that "Streetcar Named Desire" was named after? Check it out.

The house we worked on yesterday had to be the 2nd hardest house for me. I know part of it was the fact I had 3 hours of sleep before going. Another part of it was the maggots, the abundance of maggots, the heat, the smell. Oh the smells were the some of the worst. The owners were there the whole time which is a blessing and also a curse. It was so nice to hear the stories of the neighborhood and their family. 4 generations had lived in this house.....the curse? Trying to clean out everything when one member of the household wanted to save everything. At one point in one of the rooms I was cleaning out, I was told to look out for the cremation remains of one of their dogs. One of two. Amazingly I did find it. I took it outside to give to the family, when I was informed the 2nd one was sitting on the bed. Which I had already cleaned off and thrown out. There were a tense few minutes while one of the owners and a Arabi Wrecking Krewe member went through the pile of debris outside and while I looked inside. Since I had been looking for one of the two remains to began with, I didn't understand how I could have thrown it out. Finally they did find out that one of their daughters had taken one of the two dogs earlier in the morning. So they did have both of the dogs back. I can't explain the feeling I experienced thinking I had thrown one of their dogs out. I reached a wall yesterday that I couldn't just go on. It was around 2 in the afternoon. Maybe it was 3. Some of the members wanted to finish just one more room. That was jammed pack, the owners had just cleaned out the attic right before the storm and its entire contents were in this room. I was so tired and just had enough. I sat across the street in the park with one of the owners and talked for the rest of the afternoon. Other members working slowly losed their energy as well. I give major kudos to the two that kept on working. They got the room done. We ended the afternoon at Parkway Bakery where I had my most favorite roast beef sandwich. I slept all night, until now. Next week its a new house and a new family.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed by the work you all are doing and the commitment of this group. Y'all are doing such an amazing thing and giving of so much of yourself. Very inspiring....

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...you guys rock! and stacey you're part crazy part wonder woman for doing so much work in the heat with little sleep.
-kristy

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you are doing with AWK. :-)
-Janice

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home