Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bringing back more traditions

"it's one of the oldest traditions in my lifetime....the open windows, the compressor ticking, the bells.....and swaying down the street at top speed....."~Sheik

It is almost as old as this city. One of the sounds I miss the most when sitting out on the balcony. I miss my favorite driver, she always had the late, late shift. I would catch the streetcar at Carondelete and Canal after a night of music, she would say to everyone getting on "if your going to fall asleep on the way, let me know now where your stop is at!" When I first moved to NOLA, the Streetcar was my transportation. Since the "thing" happened the streetcar has been in limited use. The only place you will see the street car is along the Canal St. line and Riverfront line. They do not expect to have service back on St. Charles Street until late 2007. They are right now working hard on getting a portion of that fixed, to run from Canal to Lee Circle by the end of this year.

One thing that people have gotten used to? And really want back? Are the historic Green Streetcars. They have taken place of the new shiny red ones on the Canal/Riverfront lines. Why? Because the new ones were destroyed. The new ones that had been running for just over 2 years. The old ones? The historic ones? They are fine. The shiny red ones don't have the charms and the qualities like those of the historic cars. You don't get that constant popping, sparks flying, the gentle swaying. In fact unless I am really wrong...the newer ones had AC. That just doesn't seem right on a streetcar. I think, as do some others, that we need to keep the green cars on the Canal line, as well as the St. Charles Line.

We are trying to rebuild the city, this may seem like a small trivial matter to some, but for others these streetcars are part of the heart and soul of the city. I think its time our voices are heard...don't you?

Check this link out for some history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home