Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Jazz Fest Recap~Part 1



I am finally attempting to recap my Jazz Fest. So much happened in such a small amount of time, that each different thing we did almost amounted to a full day. This was my third Jazz Fest as a NOLA resident and I already have my traditions down. The Thursday before Jazz Fest opened we were at LMF, were Bonerama did an instore. From there it was off to Southport Hall for George Porter Jr and the Runnin Pardners. 3 years running and I have done the same thing each year.


The next morning I was up bright and early and awaiting my ride to Jazz Fest. Which for once came close to the appointed time. ;) We reached the fairgrounds right as the gates were opened and we got to work. Honestly in about the first 30 mins I had half my Bonerama/PBS koozies gone, it was by far the easiest day. It was helped of course by not only George Porter playing, but it was the day of the Bonerama set as well. The crowd was overflowing from the Fais Do Do stage, and the boys put on an amazing set. It was hard to gauge which was better, this set or the CD release party set. Friday was my "rock star" day. I went into the fairgrounds with some friends who were playing, so we got a shuttle ride from the parking lot to the stage. I left with some of the Bonerama boys and management and was once again shuttled from the stage to the parking lot. Believe me....this was nice. Later that night I hung out at the Maple Leaf on a rare "off" night, and supported Kristen as she went to work, selling merch for the Maple Leaf. As it turned out she was also selling stuff for Papa Grows Funk that night. Saturday dawned and it was back out with the koozies and then inside for an amazing day of music once again. The highlight this day was Dr. John sitting in with Crescent City Allstars. We closed the evening out with a Bonerama at Rock-n-Bowl.
Once again Sunday we were out working the crowd streaming into the fairgrounds handing out the koozies. Some days were better than others, it was amazing how many people responded to "Bonerama" than "Free". People were still talking about their set on Sunday.
I enjoyed myself immensly this day at the New Orleans Social Club set. Even though the mics failed for Henry Butler and one of Dr. John's songs. Musically it was an amazing day. Later that night we got another earful of amazing music at the Howlin Wolf. PBS opened and it was pretty much the New Orleans Social Club after, with a few others thrown in.
There is of course so much more to say. The food was amazing, when I remembered to eat it. I was too often running into the grounds to a stage. I had crawfish bread, soft shell crawfish po boy, soft shell crab po boy, crawfish monica, and much more. The little can of champange was a real thirst quencher, however for $9 a can? I only had one.

More to come....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good recap! My week was filled with diapers and boobs. Lisa

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home