Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Music keeps going on...for now

One of the things I love about New Orleans, is the music. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of music at any one time, either coming from the clubs to festivals. This weekend there will be both the Creole Tomato Festival and the Seafood Festival, in the Quarter, with I believe 4 stages. You can see club listings for every night of the week (my favorites to look at are wwoz and offbeat) There is always some good music happening somewhere in town. For example my weekend fun begins tonight. I will catch Paul Sanchez out at d.b.a for an early set. Tomorrow night I will be at the Maple Leaf for Morning 40 Federation. Saturday out at Club 300 for Rick's cd release party (amazing cd). And quite possibly a stop back out at the Maple Leaf.

In today's weekly email from Offbeat, it seems that another place has had to stop with live music. Parkway Bakery and Tavern. It wasn't anywhere I went to hear music, just to have an amazing roast beef po'boy. However, the fact remains that the city is once again cracking down on some venues/resturants/bars that have live music something about having permits. However this was not an issue before Katrina. It seems that one of the main reasons is that the neighbors are complaining. Are they complaining about the noise? The crowds? The fact that people are having fun and they are not? I have no idea. Actually, I do have a theory. I think it may be some of the newer people moving into the area. I really hope that I am wrong on that. Because really if you move into an area, knowing there is a place near by that provides live entertainment, your ass better be able to deal with it. A big part of NOLA is the music. So many of us have worked our butts off to get NOLA music back home, only to have them treated harshly in more ways than one. Other than writing to the city council, I don't know what else can be done. Don't they have better things to do with their time? I think they do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of the increased fines for second lines & the difficulties with venues affording licenses & going thru all the red tape... Do you know if any of the non-profit organizations for musicians have ear marked funds for second line applications or "grants" for venues that might need a little more help between festivals when there aren't as many tourists in town? IMO this would assure that not only the musicans have gigs to play, but that there is also "free" music in the streets and second lines to keep the music available to everyone... Seems like the non profits that are already set up should be able to do this if they haven't already... -Melissa

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home