Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Friday, November 09, 2007

Random Playlist

I don't really have much to say right now. I saw this on on Lisa's blog and decided to keep it in the back of my head for such an occasion. Obviously Lisa and I get along, because her playlist sounds like something that may come out on mine....so here we go:
(the idea is to put your ipod on shuffle and say something about each song and if/what meaning it has for you)
  • Get You In- Better Than Ezra, Live at the House of Blues New Orleans, this song is a great song. I think the most important thing about this song was the fact that a group of us were there at the show. It was one year before I moved to NOLA and a bunch of us met up for Satchmo Fest. It was a great trip to NOLA.
  • Thank Goodness-Cast of Wicked I read the book way before I even knew they were making a Broadway show out of it. I really enjoyed the book, and couldn't WAIT to see the show. I had the cast recording way before I even saw the show, in fact I think I bought it the day it came out. I still haven't seen the show on Broadway, however I did see a touring production of it and it was AMAZING. I saw it in Dallas when I was displaced for a few weeks.
  • Wail & Ride-Grayson Capps, Wail & Ride Grayson has an amazing writing quality. His songs are nitty gritty balls to the wall kind of songs. I was introduced to Grayson's music by a dear friend. This song is one of my favs on the album.
  • Carnival Time-Bo Dillis & The Wild Magnolias, Mardi Gras in New Orleans I originally bought this CD because it had the track "Funky Liza" on it. I fell in love with the CD when I got it. I would constantly listen to it sitting in my cubicle in Seattle and daydream about the day I would finally get to NOLA and hear the man who originally did this song, Al "Carnival Time" Johnson perform this song. It wasn't that long after moving here that I got to see him. Wild Magnolias are a kick ass Mardi Gras Indian group.
  • Hot Sausage Rag-Mark Braud, Hot Sausage Rag This is a swinging tune. It just rings of Trad Jazz. Mark Braud is one of the sweetest men you will meet. I remember heading out to a gig with Craig Klein, out to a winery. I was sitting in the suburban with the rest of the band, and Mark turns to me and says "Wait do you live here now?? I mean I know I saw you all durning Jazz Fest and French Quarter Fest, but I didn't realize you moved here, that is so cool" Yeah, it is cool and what is even better is knowing a great trumpet player.
  • Elijah Rocks-Harry Connick Jr., Oh My Nola I love me some Harry. Everyone knows that. This is my least favorite song on this album. I don't like how it turned out. Dare I say "over produced?" No...no we won't say that. (okay yeah I will but I want Tracey not kick my ass. I think I can out run him though)
  • 90.7-New Orleans Nightcrawlers, Live at Old Point awww. 90.7 aka WWOZ. I love that the Nightcrawlers did an ode to one of the best independent radio stations around. It is a kickin song.
  • Blues for Ben-Bonerama, Live at Old Point I remember the first time I heard this song live. It was in New York City. At Tobacco Road. First time seeing the Bones live. First time meeting a lot of people in person for the first time. I stood up front with a stupid grin on my face just letting the music wash over me. It may have been trombone spit as well.....you never forget your first time getting Boned.
  • Whoopin Blues-Rob Espino, Rob Espino y sus Amigo de Nueva Orleans I love this song. Everyone seems to record it, you will hear it at almost every second line, every festival. It is just a feel good song. Rob does a great version of it. How could he not with the line up of musicians that he has playing on the album??
  • Foot of Canal Street-Paul Sanchez, Live @ d.b.a. I don't think I could have picked a better song to finish on. I swear I didn't. I kept hoping that a Paul Sanchez song would play because his music means so much to me, and then this version came on. This was the first live show he played solo since leaving Cowboy Mouth. Craig sat in on the gig and it was one of the best musical moments I have had in NOLA. This song was an anthem for me before moving to NOLA and once again while in TX for 6 weeks. (heh as I am writing this, another song is just starting from the same night and Paul is talking about Craig and Mark. Mark played several songs and wrote several songs for Paul's CD "Between Friends" and now "There's no Bothering you" is on. I love my shuffle)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I felt the same after seeing Wicked. It was pretty amazing!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home