Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Undecided

I received an email forward from a friend yesterday. It excited me to the core, then scared me shitless, then excited me again. I need to decide today if I want to take the chance with it or not. Even if I take the first step with it, it really doesn't mean that I will get to do take part in the whole thing. I am thinking that I may do it. I mean if for some reason I do get it? It would be amazing.

Let me back up and explain. I went to school to study theatre. When I first started out, I thought I wanted to be an actress. I soon realized, with the harsh words of a professor (who also told Holly Hunt she wouldn't amount to anything) that maybe that acting wasn't the best thing for me. Now maybe I am not the best actress, but I am not the worse. I was getting better. I do think the professor didn't like anyone who wasn't perfect in his eye. In a sense, me being overweight wasn't perfect. Anyway I stopped studying the acting and moved on to backstage. I realize now if I really had the passion for acting? I would have fought more. I ended up Assistant Stage Managing a show and fell in love with it. It is the one position in the Theatre where you are with the show from the very beginning to the very bitter (and sometimes sweet) end. You are there at the production meetings, you see the designs coming together, you hear the first visions of the director, you are at auditions, you see the visions coming to light, you see the changes, you hold the course steady once the show is up. It is an amazing experience. After college I moved to Seattle and while working a normal 9-5 type job, I was also stage managing shows in little out of the way theatres (seriously one we performed in a deli, we held that spot for 4 years) in an outdoor natural ampitheatre. A normal theatre. For seven years I worked on show after show after show. Some with just a few weeks break, some with no break. One I had in tech rehearsals the other was just starting rehearsal. By the time the one in Tech had closed? I was going into Tech for the next one. It was mad.

So before I moved down here to NOLA, I did contact a few theatres. Sent out my resume and the what not. I didn't hear from one of them. Which is fine. Because I needed a break. I forgot what it was like to have a social life. To not be on a schedule. Sometimes I feel like maybe that my passion for the theatre is dying out a bit. Then I got the above mentioned email. See coming this April there is going to be a big show down here, in the New Orleans Arena. You know the one I am talking about right? Vagina Monologues. They are looking for Assistant Stage Managers. They are looking for women. Preferabley with Theatre experience. And a knowledge of one more thing...which I don't know, but hell. I learn things really fast. I have run a sound board for a show once or twice. I may forget in between, but I pick it up. But to be able to say I have worked with some of the ladies that will be starring in it? I think I would be insanely stupid NOT to get my theatre resume polished up and sent out today. Wouldn't I?

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

If you don't send in your resume for this I will smack you when I see you! What a freaking awesome opportunity! This is going to be so amazing Stacey! DO IT! JUST DO IT! What have you got to lose? Who knows what else it could lead to? maybe something awesome, maybe just a good time...either way, what a fun, amazing time you will have!

6:47 AM  
Blogger WendyD said...

DO IT NOW!!! You have to take this opportunity!!!!

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You simply MUST send in your resume. What, again, was the down side??

7:22 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

You should totally go for it!! DO IT!! If you don't, you might only ask yourseld what if?! what do you have to lose?

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon Chance as the french say...or was it break a leg? L

8:49 PM  
Blogger Wonder Muppet said...

I will so have Lisa smack you when she sees you if you dont' do this!

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes you must go for it!! What an amazing opportunity for you!

-Janice

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home