Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, March 09, 2006

The continuing saga of my car.

Before Lisa (my sister) came down here for Mardi Gras, she talked to one of her old friends from High School who is a lawyer. He gave her some advice to pass along to me. A quick update for those who are not aware, on October 25, 2005 I bought a car "as is" in Fort Worth, TX so I could come home to NOLA. As I drove it home it started overheating, and has been having these problems since. Well I bought the car "as is" so its my problem right? Well here is the kicker. Oct 25th was 4 1/2 months ago. The dealership I bought the car from? That I have paid CASH to??? They haven't sent me the title. So yeah this may be a hard lesson learned. I don't want to put $$ into a car to repair it, since I technically don't own the car. I have all the receipts and what not from the car purchase, but NOT the title. Several contacts were made with the dealership, which I got the run around as to why I hadn't received my title. Well here we are, the plates are beyond expired, the temp tag the dealership gives you (and have sent several more) are all expired. My car sits there, unusable.

Our friend told me to do the following. First, file a police report. Because if I do for some reason drive the car, and get pulled over??? I could get arrested for driving a stolen car. Even though I paid for the car....I don't have the title. Second, I have to file in small claims court to either get my $$ back or for them to send the damn title already. Third, to report the dealership to BBB. Some people have even suggested a fourth, to go the media, as this dealership taking advantage of a Katrina victim.

I have been looking online for some help, can't really seem to find the forms I would need to fill out for small claims court. I don't really know where to begin. I may have to pick Carrie's brain soon, seeing as she is a law student. However, since she is a law student in classes right now, helping me won't be a priority. She is slammed right now.

In the end I am hoping for one thing. For them to take back the non-working car, and for them to give me my $$ back. It sucks to know that I "have" a car, yet I can't use it. I could buy a car some place else....or hell even better a scooter. It would still get me around right?

My head hurts. If anyone has some good legal advice on the small courts procedures please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.commongroundrelief.org/
was offering free legal advice...

I can't put my hand on it, but you could contact them & see what days the legal teams are available, since this happened because of the thing, you should in my opinion go to the media... If this happened to you, in Tx... On top of everything else you had to endure, it makes me wonder how many more people have had the same experiences... 250,000 cars were totaled the entire gulf region... Many people had to buy cars to come home to New Orleans... It could be much bigger than your own experience & may help more people if you go public with it. Hope this helped & hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the links...

http://www.katrinalegalaid.org/

http://neworleans.katrinalouisiana.us/common-ground/common-i0012.htm

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stacie, get me the plate # and the vin # and let me see what i can find out for you.

you are a chip licker!

mike

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home