Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Friday, June 02, 2006

Calling all Singletons

In two months and two weeks (give or take a few days) it will be my birthday. I will be 31. Last year I was really looking forward to my 30th, mainly because I knew my friends would be visiting and we were gonna have a good time. This year? I am dreading it. It may be a combination of a week after my birthday, that bitch roared through the gulf. Not soon after one of my friends passed away. Then I found out my grandpa wasn't doing so well. However, lately things have been going pretty good. So why dread a birthday? Its just a number right? Part of it may have to do with I am now feeling pretty settled here in New Orleans. For the first time in a long time, if not ever, I feel like I am where I need to be. Things seem to be going in a good direction. Do ya'll know where this is going yet? Everyonce in awhile, more often lately, I get that panicky feeling. The one that almost every woman has. Will I spend the rest of my life alone? I know I will always have my family and my friends. But I do start to wonder if I will ever get married and have kids. I really want to have kids. That number 31 scares me from time to time. What if I can't? What if I run out of time? Every once in awhile I look at it like this. Say I finally met the person I am going to spend the rest of my life with at the age of 31. Lets say we date for awhile....then engaged...finally married....then try for kids. I could be 35 before that happens. If I am lucky. I may not met anyone till I am 35....see this is my thought process. And it panicks me. I am not going to do something stupid like a person I knew back in college. It was on her birthday, she was turning 22 or 23 something like that and she said "this year I am going to meet someone and by this time next year I will be engaged." She wasn't dating anyone at the time. By the time her birthday rolled around the next year she was married. They had kids right away. They are now divorced. I have since lost contact with her, for all I know she is remarried. That is not something I want to do at all. I am definetly not beating any suitors away right now, which on most days? Its fine. I am a pretty independant person, but on other days? Holy cow. Watch out. I know there are other single people out there that feel the same way. I hope mom and dad don't mind a popsicle grandchild. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had this conversation with my friend Chris. He's 29. He did the same timeline: "If I walk out the door right now and meet a great gal, we'll have to date for about a year, to make sure everything isright and get to know each other, then get engaged, and probably take a year to plan for a wedding so by that time I'll be 31. We'll want to enjoy being married for a year or two before we start to have kids so by the time we start trying I'll be 33, then barring any unforseen complicatons, nearly another year before we have our FIRST child."

Thats alot of stress. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. You already go out and meet lots of people...stay away from drummers...thats my advice... ;)

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I totally feel your pain, I'm 12 months and some odd days ahead of you!

ha ha-- yeah drummers, lame!
-kk

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also wanted to add-- don't worry! I think you'll(we'll) be rewarded by waiting for a quality person. Can you imagine if one of those college shmuck boyfriends was yo baby's daddy? ha ha, no! I keep that thought in mind when I'm questioning my singleton status!:)
-k

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl - I'm with you. I was already married and you know how well that turned out. Going for number 2 seems to be more of a challenge.

BTW - there's another new boy - red haired. Yummy. :) we'll chat.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home