Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Monday, October 29, 2007

Voo Doo Fest Weekend

I had a great Voo Doo weekend. The weather was just amazing, nice and warm during the day. Cool and clear in the evening. The moon was amazing each nice as it rose. The crazy weekend started on Thursday.

It was a long busy crazy day at work. I ended up working an hour and half longer than normal. I got home in time to change clothes and then it was off to a babysitting job. That kept me busy until about 11:30. We then went out and put out fliers at several clubs for the upcoming Bonerama gig. By the time we got home it was 1 or so. I decided it was the perfect time to go to the Maple Leaf. I caught the 2nd set of the Trio's set which was kickin. I got home around 3:30 or so, slept for a few hours and then my phone rang.

The girls had arrived. It was a few of the girls that work up in Boston offices for Bonerama and PBS. They had drove 27 hours to get down here and were ready to GO! After showers and a yummy breakfast, we headed on out to Voo Doo. The girls took advantage of the massage therapist that was working in the back stage area, and we got ready for the Bonerama gig to start. It was a muddy mess out in front of the stage thanks to the rain that had occurred last Monday. It didn't matter the the hard core fans. We all danced away in the mud. It didn't look like a large crowd, because a lot of people stood back away from the the mud pit. By the end of the weekend there was no way to avoid it. We hung out taking advantage of the free food and drink, I took over "zone defense" so Debbie could also take advantage of the massage therapist. I don't mind, because those boys are just so sweet. Ben told me that he loved me and that I was a good friend. 4 year olds are just so cute!! We did eventually see a few other bands including Lez Zepplin and Kings of Leon. We didn't make it to Rage Against the Machine because a few of the girls were losing steam. We headed back to the house were pizza was consumed and beds made up. Erin, Kristen and I decided to keep it going. We went out to Tipitina's to see Ivan Neville then of course the Maple Leaf to see the band there. We made it back to the house at 2:30 and promptly crashed.

Saturday it was back out the fest early. We caught Jamie Mclean, Kermit Ruffins, the Fleur de Tease, Zydepunks, Big Sam, Ivan Neville, Smashing Pumpkins and of course PBS. It was a nice mud fest once again. Kristen and I took off a bit early as I had to get all the merch items together and wanted to rest for a minute. On the way home we made a pit stop at Walgreens to pick up a few items. We followed an SUV into the lot. Right as Kristen was asking me if she could fit into a spot, I said "they are backing up" and the SUV backed right into us. Kristen just barely had time to honk. Thankfully they didn't back up too fast, however the car sustained damage. We both had to get out of the car fast because the SUV almost drove off. The girl driving tried to say that she didn't back into us....even after we showed her the hood of the car that was slightly crumpled. It wasn't until about 2 other people came up and said that they also saw her do it did she finally say she did. Because it was a private lot, no cops were involved. The SUV wasn't even the girls, and the insurance was expired. So it looks to be a long legal battle ahead.

I ended up getting to Rock-n-Bowl right before the gig started. There was a decent crowd, so the guys turned it up a few notches and played some new tunes and mixed it up with a few older tunes that I haven't heard in awhile. It was an amazing night. For once it went on later than normal gigs at R-n-B. The girls headed on out to Frenchmen Street and I headed on over to the Maple Leaf to hear the rest of Papa Grows Funk. I heard about 30 seconds of the last song. No matter, there were a few people there that I hadn't seen in awhile so we spent a long time chatting.

Yesterday consisted of taking the girls to the 9th Ward, down to the Quarter and back to Voo Doo. And of course watching the end of the World Series. It was a great NOLA weekend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crikey~ I'm tired just reading that! What a great weekend!I could never keep up with your rock star hours!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are both of you trying to be carless??? L

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home