Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Monday, January 14, 2008

A Bone Story

Since there are a fair amount of people reading this blog that may or may not know what this fixation I have with a certain band called Bonerama is, I thought I would regal you all with a tale of where it all began.

It all began with a certain musician named Harry Connick Jr. I had really enjoyed his music ever since college. I picked up a few of his cds and would have them on constant rotation. In July 1999 I saw Harry and his big band perform out in Seattle. I realized after finally seeing him live, that I appreciated his music more. Not just his music but the members of his big band. I ended up buying all of the CDs that he had out at that time and was now more than ever listening to his music.

In August 2001 I joined an online community of Harry Connick Jr fans. There I "met" people who also appreciated the music that was coming out of Harry Connick Jr and his band. I actually became really good friends with several people on that board. One in particular. We used to talk on the phone ALL the time. She often talked about a couple of Harry's big band members and this band that they were in and how I should check them out. I finally ordered their CD from Louisiana Music Factory to see what all this fuss was about. Of course the members were Mark Mullins and Craig Klein. The band was of course Bonerama. I can't properly relay what it was like to hear Bonerama for the very first time. Some of the most amazing music I had ever heard was pouring forth from my CD player. I couldn't believe the sounds that the trombones were producing. The CD that I had purchased was of course "Live at Old Point" the first and only CD that they had recorded at that time. Some of the other people on that board also started to listen to the band as well and loved them as much as I did. And still do.

November 2002 rolls around and I am planning a trip to see Harry Connick Jr in concert in DC. It just so happens that Bonerama has a gig booked in NYC, so several of us decide to meet up, face to face for the first time. That trip will live on in my mind forever. Not only was I meeting some of my really good friends in person for the first time, but I was going to get to see Harry Connick Jr and for the first time I was going to see Bonerama. To this day, I remember when the the first few notes were played at Tobacco Road, the stupid giddy feeling I had. I had a big smile the whole time. The music just infects you, and you have to dance. That entire weekend ended up with one more extra Bonerama gig at the Cutting Room, which officially sealed my fate as life long fan.

Not only was the music some of the most insanely brillant music I had ever heard, but the guys behind the music were and are some the nicest, sweetest guys I had ever met. They took time to talk with us on several occasions, would pretty much put up with our inane fandom.

Not long after I moved here in August 04, Mark asked me to help out at a show selling merchandise and the rest they say is history. I have the pleasure and honor of helping out the band when ever they are in town. I have seen them play in little clubs, to now recently playing in front of millions as they played the National Anthem. I know that all the people that have been on the fandom journey with me are just as pleased and excited at the growing amount of fans. The music continues to grow and be brilliant. The band will continue to grow by leaps and bounds and I hope that I will continue to help out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ah good times.....that show at TR was one of the best times EVER!Just for the fact that it was the beginning of some really great friendships. Both the music and the friendships just continue to get better and better each year!

You were so the devil that weekend....I still can't beleive I left work on Monday and drove to NYC to see that last show at the Cutting Room and then drove home at 4;00 am and went
to work.....CRAZEEE!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetest guys you've ever met??? How about trouble and then some!! ;) L

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super fun times!
:)
kk

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta get out and see this band! And when I do, I'll introduce myself!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from here, I've always been kind of immune to the jazz and the brass bands. To busy being a blues junkie, a rocker and a punk during my formative years. I've calmed down and gotten more of an appreciation of things, (like going to parades again after a ten-year embargo).

I caught Bernie Cyrus playing banjo alongside James Andrews (as Bernie called him, "The Satchmo of the Ghetto") and the New Birth Brass Band at a small gig this summer. And don't you know my toes started tappin' and hands started clappin'. It sounds like I need to catch the Bonerama fever, too.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Veronica said...

I think the 25th or 26th is going to be the weekend I check out Maple Leaf. Is the area safe if I go by myself?

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home