Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My Story

I would say this story takes place about 7 or 8 months after I moved here. I was hanging out a lot with my friends Adam and Carrie, and we would often wind up at this bar in the Quarter. Yes I said the Quarter, leave me alone I had just moved here and hadn't really discovered the good places yet. One night Carrie, Adam and I were hanging out at the bar waiting for one of our friends to get off work, as he worked at the bar we hung out at. We were all going to walk down the street to see this band that Carrie was raving about OK Go at One Eyed Jacks. It was taking a little bit longer for our friend to get off work, and we all may have had a bit more than usual to drink. Finally, after some of us got a refill on the big ass beer that he was drinking we all started to wander down the street. Coming towards us was probably 5 or 6 frat guys. Possibly football players, real big. The sidewalks down here are not that wide, especially in the Quarter. So here are the 4 of us (2 girls/2 guys) and then these massive ass guys. That aren't being polite and slightly stepping out of the way to let the ladies pass. Carrie and I get pushed out either on to the street or up against the building to let them pass, I believe our bartender friend did the same. Adam however really doesn't care and walks right through the middle of them, and as he does he says "What's up assholes?" Now if you know Adam, and some of you do, you know that Adam is ALL talk, that he would never hurt a fly and is one of the sweetest people around. He was trying to be funny, unfortunately it didn't turn out so well this time. One of the guys immediately hit Adam and he went flying where he landed in the street. The other guys held back their friend as he was going after Adam some more. Adam was bleeding and I think one of guys may have had to hold me back because I wasn't going to take something like that happening to a friend quietly. It was mentioned that the guy that had hit Adam had been drinking and using all day and it was probably best if they just went on their way before he got more violent. Adam being Adam, was like "hey man! I was just joking, don't want any problems" The guys disappeared into the Bourbon Street crowd and we proceeded to clean up Adam who was bleeding a bit and covered in beer and calm Carrie down who was really upset. Adam says he still wants to go down to see OK Go so we made our way to One Eyed Jacks where we saw about two and a half songs plus the encore. Which I believe was "Cinnamon Lips" accompanied by a dance a la the tread mill one. We all had a great time, even Adam who was feeling some pain. We chatted with the guys in the band a bit after then we headed on our way.

Turns out that Adam and Carrie went back to the Quarter that night to try to find the guys to point them out to the cops. In the end it really would have been best if we had gotten the cops involved right then as Adam has pretty much been out of work since then. He was in a lot of pain down here, they found out recently that he had 5 broken ribs from that night. The hospital down here had said that they were just bruised or something like that. However he has been dealing with some medical issues when they discovered that the ribs had been broken.

For a brief time that night OK Go did give us some joy however and I have been quietly following them since. So I am pretty damn ecstatic about seeing them this Friday with Bonerama. Hopefully there will be no fights before the gig.

4 Comments:

Blogger Veronica said...

I'm going to try to go. I've been out of the concert scene lately and need to get back in it.

6:30 AM  
Blogger boneramafreak said...

OHH if you do come, come say hi!! I will be selling the Bonerama Merch!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

jeez....what a story!! How's Adam doing now? I'm glad no one else was hurt though.

How cool though you got to see OK Go...too fun! and you get to see them again!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yipes! That sucks! Glad it wasn't worse, though....

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home