Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

More on the Indians

As I glance through the pictures that I took this weekend, I am still amazed at the amount of work that goes into each outfit. Granted some pieces are glued on, but most are hand sewn. I have done some dabbling in beading work back when I was younger. I had a little loom and could make some bracelets and necklaces. The designs were never too intricate as I didn't have the patience to do that, also the fear of having them turn out ugly was there. The time and patience that goes into each Mardi Gras Indian outfit is out of this world. The cost is also amazing, but when you see the end result, you can understand why.

There are lengthly explanations of the Mardi Gras Indians, and traditions from Big Chief, Flag Boy, Spy Boy and Wild Man. I won't even try to go into detail here because I will get it so wrong. One thing I have gathered from reading is that the African Americans wanted to pay respect to the Native Americans for their help and understanding during Slavery and everything since. Many other traditions have come to past since the first of the Mardi Gras Indian gangs were formed.
I am so glad that I went to Super Sunday to check out this display of tradition. I only once felt out of place when it was obvious that one lady didn't want us taking pictures at the park. Mainly because we were white. There were other people taking pictures and she had no problem. I wanted to say to her, "Hey I am Native American stop treating me so different!" But I didn't. If she wanted to judge on looks then that was her perogative. Yes maybe I should have been respectful and not taken the picture, however the suit was on display like all others, and I know she hadn't been the one wearing it. Possibly she helped in the construction of the suit. I did get the picture of it however.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

That outfit is amazing! I'd love to hear more about your Native American background.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really, really have to get out there next year!

Thanks for getting those pics, even under ugly glances!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home