Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, August 25, 2005


Stength

One year ago today, I was just settling into my new apartment, sitting down to some dinner. I received a phone call, the kind that no one likes to receive. It was from Janice, who had just found out that earlier in the day, our friends Donna and Marvin had been involved in an accident. Marvin did not make it. I went through shock, sadness, and even more shock. I spent most of the evening on the phone with friends, trying to figure out what had happened, why it had happened, and what we could do to help. I wanted to call Donna, she had made it back to her house that evening but didn't want to overwhelm her with yet another phone call. When I did talk to her the next morning, she was holding up very well considering what she had been through. Not only the accident, but the lose of her husband. I soon learned that Donna possess more strength and courage than I could ever hope to have. A few of us flew to Birmingham for the funeral. That first night there, all of us gathered around the table, looking through pictures, laughing, crying, telling stories, we all experienced at one time or another a moment of peace when we felt Marvin was there to say "thank you for being here for Donna" In the months that has followed, I have gotten to spend lots of time with Donna and her family. They have made several trips to New Orleans, myself to Birmingham or Atlanta. Each of these trips I see where Donna gets her strentgh. Her parents are wonderful, caring and loving people. I am honored to call Donna one of my best friends. Marvin was taken from us a way to early. While I will never fully understand why, I know he is looking out for Donna, and sometimes for the rest of us. Donna, I wish you continued strength, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW - that was me who made the call to you! I recall talking about remembering Marvin and worrying about Donna. I think it was Lisa who told me the news. I'm glad I had you two to share with that night.

Donna is truly an inspiration.

-Janice

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home