Randomness

The crazy life I now live in New Orleans, LA

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Do You do on Fat Tuesday??

My first Mardi Gras experience down here in NOLA happened in 2003. We had the best time, really didn't catch that many parades, we were out seeing music and went to the Orpheus Ball. Both Craig and Leroy told some of us (there were about 30-40 of us here in a group) to come out the St. Anne parade. That it was a lot of fun and we really needed to check it out. So early on Mardi Gras day several of us packed into a cab and headed on out to Bud Rip's for the start of the parade. Little did we know at the time about "NOLA time" all I know is we got there rather early and did a lot of standing around waiting for Leroy and Craig to put in an appearance. As more and more people arrived I began to feel seriously under dressed. I was wearing jeans, a tshirt and fleece jacket. Every single person but my group were completly dressed up in costumes. When we saw Craig and Leroy everyone busted out laughing at their attempts in drag.

Since becoming a resident, I have spent every Fat Tuesday with the St. Anne parade. It has a crazy amount of people all dressed up, drinking and dancing down the street to the sounds of the Storyville Stompers (plus many many other musicians) We always leave from Bud Rips, go through the Marigny, end up in the Quarter and meet up with Rex at Canal. From there it is to the Moonwalk. That is where the structered parade ends. We usually end up on Frenchmen street. Or asleep in a car. I don't think there is any other wayI would want to spend a Mardi Gras day.

I am getting into a desperation point on my costume for this year, I do believe I will end up doing what I have done the past two years in a row and that is to raid my friend Twinkle Toes Mardi Gras Costume Closet and find something fantastic to wear. I do know that Leroy is on the quest for something outrageous and he doesn't want to do drag again. I think they may end up raiding the closet as well. The following pics are some of my favs from Mardi Gras Day.

Mr. Craig Klein, Mardi Gras 2007. Caught him right in action.
Mr. John Boutte taking a break from his trumpet, he doesn't use his voice this day. Mardi Gras 2007

Jurzak and I at the start of the parade, Mardi Gras 2007

Rick and I near Canal Mardi Gras 2006
Katja doin her thang Mardi Gras 2007

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

How fun! You are so lucky to have all this taking place in your back yard. Unfortunately, Mardi Gras was never really recognized much here but each year I see more an more local celebrations happening.

10:53 AM  
Blogger WendyD said...

The 2003 St. Anne's parade will forever be my favorite NOLA memory. I loved that we had no idea what was going on and were so not dressed. I still had my hair done from the ball the night before. I loved Craig yelling at us to get in the parade.

I can't wait to get back down in another year or two (I'm due next year to keep my my 3-year cycle) and dress up again, I had so much fun in 2006, despite sweating a lot. St. Anne's is the very definition of Mardi Gras to me. Have so much fun again this year!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story and fun pictures!

I started to respond to your question. It was getting really long, and had a post-feel about it. So I wrote a post. Now at MyBigEasyLife.com.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

St. Annes is such a blast! This year I think Mike and I want to try to catch part of Rex, I've always wanted to see it and the LSU Marching band is leading off the parade! I am determined to see the MG Indians on MG day too.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home